Thursday, October 9, 2008

Understanding Baby Talk


Understanding baby talk? According to Priscilla Dunstan new Mom and author of "Dunstan Baby language" this is possible. During a particularly difficult evening of crying she thought to herself "I don't think I can get up and do this again". As she sat crying in the nursery with Tomas at 3am, she decided these cries must have a meaning that she could come to understand. Dunstan set out to research baby cries and spent years testing her baby language theory. She found that all babies regardless of their cultural background or race made the same sounds. Dunstan says "I have amazing footage of babies crying on mud floors in remote villages in Turkey. These babies were making the same sounds as Tomas".

Dunstan found that all babies verbalize five "words" to communicate their needs. These words are reflex sounds that occur during thee first 3-months when your baby needs to eat, sleep, be burped or is uncomfortable. Dunstan recommends that each new parent become familiar with the five baby "words" before baby arrives.

1. NEH: "I'm hungry."
2. OWH: "I'm tired."
3. EH: "I need to be burped."
4. EAIRH: "I have gas." (Relieve with massage or by rolling the legs.)
5. HEH: "I'm uncomfortable."

These words are instinct for the first 0-3 months. If you don't respond, then a baby loses the language. However, if you do respond to these baby words a baby can continue using this language up to one year of age!

0 comments: