A valuable lesson I've learned from the baby whisperer- for the first 3-months it's very important to utilize the three S's: Swaddle, Suck, and Shhhhh.
The swaddling can be difficult. In my case Spencer hated having his arms wrapped-up. I quickly learned that if he was swaddled he would sleep for 6-hours straight... un-swaddled he would sleep 3-hours maximum before waking! So long as he was good and sleepy I could then lay him down and successfully swaddle him. From there- sleep sweet sleep! Below are a couple swaddles that I really love. Both are iParenting Award Winners. The Kiddopotamus swaddle can be used in the car seat and The Miracle Blanket is a one size fits all.
Kiddopotamus Swaddler (available at TJ Kiddies)
http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_org_swdl.php 
The Miracle Blanket (available at Crocodile Baby)
http://www.crocodilebaby.com/qs/product/17/5585/158244/0/0
http://www.miracleblanket.com/ (demo on how to use)
Babies love to suck. It's a natural reflex that comforts them greatly. As soon as you have successfully established breast feeding it is safe to introduce a soother. I love the soother! Infants have not learned about manipulation and so always have a real reason for crying- hunger, tummy-pain, gas, tired or a dirty diaper. Once you've exhausted all possible solutions for babies unhappiness... in comes the soother! It almost always works. It's particularily helpful in the car!
A couple soothers that I really like: The Soothie by Children's Medical Venture's and the natural rubber soother. Both molded one piece soothers that are free of harmful toxins.
http://www.soothie-pacifier.com/ (Also available at Babies R Us)
http://www.ethicbaby.com
Lastly- the sound "Ssssshhh" acts as white noise similar to what baby heard in-utero for so many months. This sound can be very soothing to a new baby who is not used to silence.
-
2 comments:
We ADORE our miracle blankets! They do look quite like a straight jacket, but they really do work wonders! Jorja would almost giggle with happiness and relief when I would bundle her up!
Just passed them on to Juli and Janaya is loving them too.
Aren't they great! Spencer now knows that once he is swaddled he can settle in for bed time. He looks so peaceful and even gives me a little sleepy smile before drifting off to sleep. :)
Post a Comment